Yields 8 portions
6 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. Garlic, peeled and sliced
2 cups Onions, peeled, ¼”dice
2 cups Padrón peppers, cored and chopped
2 ea. Fresh thyme sprigs
2 ea. Bay leaf
¼ tsp. Cayenne
2 cups Tomato, diced
4 cups Zucchini, ½” dice
1 tsp. Kosher salt
¼ tsp. Black pepper, freshly ground
¼ cup Pecorino cheese
- Prepare all the vegetables ahead of time. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, add 4 tablespoons of the olive oil and the sliced garlic. Cook until it just starts to brown and remove the garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until lightly caramelized. Turn up the heat to high and sauté until onions are about to caramelize. Add the padrón peppers, thyme, bay leaf, cayenne, and the tomatoes. Cook slowly until the moisture has evaporated from the tomatoes.
- In a large sauté pan over high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the diced zucchini; sauté until the vegetable starts to color. Remove from the pan and add to the ratatouille base.
- Add the cooked sliced garlic, season with the salt and pepper, and place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove, stir to incorporate all the flavors, and remove the thyme sprig. Season to taste with kosher salt and a touch of cayenne.
- Place a small amount of warm ratatouille in a warm bowl and top with the grated pecorino cheese.